Adult teams, First team, Reserve team

Seniors: Saturday 26 September 2020

Four-midable Firsts

First Team Manager Adrian Turner reflects…

On Saturday we traveled to Bovingdon in the first round of the Aubrey Cup. After a tough game the week before we as coaches learned a few lessons and brought that into this week’s game. Bovingdon ‘A’ where a very young side and at the start of the game their full back was causing a few issues with the switch of play over our full back, but once we got hold of that we started to dominate the possession and game. It wasn’t long before our dominance was rewarded when a great through ball in behind there left back found Jimmy Agnew in on goal only to be brought down by the home team’s goal keeper; Charlie Pratt stepped up and dispatched the penalty. This gave us even more confidence and belief and we really started playing some great football. Again a great through ball from Louis Curtis who had a great game in the middle of the park found Agnew in behind the left back to this time slot away and double the lead.

Bovingdon were always a threat with the ball over the top and caught us out a couple of times but alert goalkeeping from Dan Smith kept the first half clean sheet. In the second half we carried on playing some great football with Kieran Flynn pulling the strings from the deeper role and George Kirtsides cutting in from his wide role to cause Bovingdon lots of problems. We added a third from a really well taken team goal with Alex Richardson finishing off a fine move. Bovingdon had another chance when they headed wide with just our Smith to beat but put it wide. George Phillips came on and added a well deserved fourth. A good win and a well earned clean sheet going into the league meeting with Hatfield. Well done lads.

Extrastaff man of the match: Charlie Pratt, with notable mention to Christian Grindal

Christian Grindal chasing after the man of the match accolade

Next Saturday, 3 October, the First Team travel to Hatfield United for their fourth Herts Senior County League Division One fixture; 14:30 kick off at Birchwood, Hatfield AL10 0AN.

Grieveson goals not enough for Reserves

Bailey Rose makes his reporting debut…

On a wet afternoon, Knebworth Reserves hosted Sarratt Reserves at The Rec. The Ks were coming off a 1-0 loss to Division 2 side Wormley Reserves in the Greg Cup, where they displayed many positives.

Sarratt started the game as the better team as the Ks looked to compose their frantic start. Early in the game Sarratt scored their first goal as the Ks were yet to get a foot on the game. A free kick was awarded to Knebworth on the half line which Jack Dunn played long looking for target man, Tom Grieveson. After the defender misjudged the flight of the ball, new fans-favourite Grieveson slotted the ball home to level things.

As the first half continued, Sarratt grew stronger in the game, responding well making the game, 2-1 then 3-1 in quick concession. The Ks seemed to lose confidence, and frustration amongst individuals was evident. Sarratt’s right back picked up the ball just inside of the Ks half and managed to beat four Knebworth defenders before slotting the ball in the bottom right corner to make it 4-1. As the half was drawing to an end, Knebworth started an attack on the right with the impressive Tommy Rowe and Ollie Mitchell. After linking up, the ball was swung towards the six-yard box, where the ball was met by the diving head of the studded Puma Kings wearing, Tom Grieveson, resulting in the score being 4-2 at half time.

The second half began and the Ks looked to press the opposition high up the pitch and counteract the threat of Sarratt’s long ball. However, Sarratt’s left winger picked up the ball inside Knebworth’s half and managed to lob Alfie Pettitt with an expert finish. It was a finish no keeper would have saved, making the score 5–2. The Ks continued to work hard and showed a much better attitude in comparison to the first half, moving the ball at a faster tempo and committing in challenges. Grieveson netted his third goal of the afternoon only to see it ruled out after growling at the opposition defender who swung wildly and missed the ball enabling the striker to put the ball into the net. With the goal wiped off the scoresheet and Grieveson getting a yellow card for his comedic antics. The game was brought to an end with the score finishing 5-2. The Ks looked a much more determined side during the second half however their slow start meant they were always chasing the game. The boys will look to respond to today’s performance by getting a win against next week’s opposition Evergreen Reserves.

Raja Tandoori man of the match: Tom Grieveson

Raja Tandoori man of the match: Tom Grieveson

If you missed the matchday programme, download it here

Next Saturday, 12 September, the Reserves welcome Evergreen to the Recreation Ground (SG3 6AH) for their fourth Herts Senior County League Division Three fixture; 14:30 kick off.

Centre back, come defensive midfielder, come journalist Bailey Rose

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s