Mick's Football Memories

Mick’s Football Memories – part 9

The 1959/60 season was one of an emotional rollercoaster. I had recovered from bronchitis and was again selected to play for the school team. As the season progressed, much to my surprise, I was selected to play for North Herts Schools, together with two other boys from Heathcote School. This was a wonderful experience, playing most of our home games at Hitchin Town’s Top Field ground. We also had opportunity to play at St.Albans City’s Clarence Park and Cambridge City’s old Milton Road ground, which was huge.

Wolves did much better in the European Cup, reaching the Quarter-Finals, where they met Barcelona. I then watched on what was now a much larger fifteen inch television screen as Barcelona destroyed them 9-2 on aggregate, winning the first leg in Spain 4-0 and the return leg at Molineux 5-2. I watched both matches and screamed at the television, blaming the referee and anyone else I could think of for the devastating defeat.

Wolves did however reach the FA Cup Final and were to play Blackburn Rovers at Wembley. I managed to obtain a ticket and as a fourteen year old boy travelled alone by train to Wembley Stadium. Just as I was now travelling from Knebworth to Molineux, unaccompanied, and regularly by bus to Hitchin Town. I never felt in any danger or vulnerable, as people were generally happy and there was virtually zero violence. My, how times have changed.

When I arrived at Wembley Stadium that day I saw Wolves beat Blackburn Rovers 3-0, in a very one-sided match. It was not the best game to watch, littered with offsides but all that mattered to me was the result and I came home very happy.

That day Wolves sat at the top of the Division One league table, having finished their league program a point and a better goal average ahead of Burnley, who had one game to play. Just like Manchester United who failed three years earlier, if Wolves won the league they would be the first team to complete the league and cup double this century and would also achieve a hat trick of league championships. Burnley played their remaining league match on the following Monday evening and won it, hence clinching the league title and denying Wolves the double. I was distraught and thought there was not much left to live for.Progs promo
Missed an installment of Mick’s Memories? Catch up here…

KnebFC EF-Banner-560x90 - homepage


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s