Mick's Football Memories

Mick’s Football Memories – part 22

During the 1970/71 season my mate, who was an Arsenal supporter, suggested we went to Molineux to see Wolves play Arsenal, as neither of us were playing football on this particular day. I wasn’t over enthusiastic but reluctantly agreed to drive up there. This was the season when Arsenal were to complete the league and cup double, emulating their North London rivals Tottenham of ten years earlier. However on this particular day Wolves won 5-1 and would finish fourth in the league. Amongst the Wolves team that day were John Richards, Derek Dougan and Kenny Hibbitt. The last time I had seen Derek Dougan play was when he played for Blackburn Rovers in the 1960 cup final against Wolves. Not unsurprisingly I drove home more enthusiastically than I had driven up there, with my mate hardly saying a word.

Stevenage Athletic joined the Southern League from the Metropolitan League. Their manager was Alan Gilzean the ex Tottenham player and his old team mate Jimmy Greaves turned out occasionally for this side. However the owner of the club was a Bournemouth businessman who rarely visited the ground. This led to a decline in the state of the facilities and pitch. The pitch became so bad that most of the time it had more sand than grass on it. This quickly became a joke amongst visiting teams who insisted they had to bring their buckets and spades with them as there was more sand and water at Stevenage than at the seaside.

The 1970/71 season in the Herts. County League saw Leggatts Way Old Boys retain the Premier Division title. Rickmansworth Town won Division One, Radlett Division Two and Rickmansworth Town Reserves Division Three. Leggatts Way Old Boys again completed the double, defeating Cockfosters 3-2 in the Aubrey Cup Final. This was a very good year for Knebworth, the first team finishing third in the Premier Division, with the reserves finishing in mid table in Division One and winning the Reserve Cup, defeating London Colney Reserves 2-1. In the Amateur Cup all competing county league teams were defeated in the Preliminary Round. At the end of the season Saffron Walden Town and Stansted left the league to join the newly formed Essex Senior League.

In the Isthmian League Hitchin Town would finish in mid table and in the Southern League Stevenage Athletic finished sixteenth out of twenty in Division One.

Progs promo
Missed an installment of Mick’s Memories? Catch up here…

KnebFC EF-Banner-560x90

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s