Mick's Football Memories

Mick’s Football Memories – part 30

For the 1975/76 season four Herts. County League sides entered the newly formed F.A. Vase competition. They were Knebworth, Leggatts Old Boys, Rolls-Royce Engines and Royston Town. Knebworth lost in the Preliminary Round 0-1 to Basildon United. The remaining three clubs entered the competition at the First Round with Rolls-Royce Engines and Royston Town losing to Tring Town and Northampton Spencer respectively, Royston Town after a replay. Leggatts Old Boys defeated Selby in the First Round before losing to Addlestone in the Second Round.

The following season only Leggatts Old Boys, Rolls-Royce Engines and Royston Town entered the competition and all lost at the first hurdle, Rolls-Royce Engines and Royston Town in the Preliminary Round and Leggatts Old Boys in the First Round.

For the 1977/78 season Knebworth and Sun Sports entered the competition together with Leggatts Old Boys and Rolls-Royce Engines, again all four clubs lost at the first hurdle.

The same four clubs entered for the 1978/79 season with only Sun Sports enjoying any success. They defeated Sandy Albion 2-0 in the Preliminary Round and then drew 4-4 with Kew Association in the First Round, losing the replay 1-0.

Knebworth, Rolls-Royce Engines and Sun Sports were the only entrants for the 1979/80 with Rolls-Royce Engines being the only team to enjoy any success. They defeated Eaton Bray United 5-2 away in the Preliminary Round and Ulysses 2-0 away in the First Round, before losing to Didcot Town in the Second Round. In the Preliminary Round Knebworth had been drawn at home to Tiptree United and lost the match 1-0. I was up the rec. that day watching the game when I observed a man walking around the entire pitch making notes. This individual turned out to be the secretary of Tiptree United and he had discovered that the length of the Knebworth pitch was undersize lengthwise, being less than 110 yards long. He reported this to the F.A. and the club was not accepted into the competition again. Subsequently the pitch was moved to the position it is in today, with the bottom goal line very close to the footpath. The following season the Herts F.A. refused to sanction any Herts. County League clubs entry into the competition. It would not be until the 1985/86 season that Herts. County League clubs would again participate in the F.A. Vase.

Progs promo
Missed an installment of Mick’s Memories? Catch up here…

KnebFC EF-Banner-560x90

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s